Early 20th Century Bankers Lamp by Emeralite
(SOLD) Period bankers / students / library table lamp by Emeralite Lamp Company. Circa. 1920. Beautiful emerald green cased glass shade. Two adjustable lighting positions. Original patina to base. Retains Emeralite label.Very good original condition. Measures H 14 in. x W 8.5 in. x D 6.75 in.
Bellova and Emeralite lamps were the creation of Harrison D. McFaddin. It was in 1909 that the first Emeralite lamp, as we know it today, was produced. On May 11, 1909 McFaddin's patent application for "a new, original and ornamental design for lamp shades," was approved. Thus began the manufacture of Emeralite and Bellova lamps that were to continue in production for fifty years.
Essentially, the Emeralites that are today most easily identifiable, collectible and with which the name Emeralite is most readily associated, were simply brass-based or brass-plated desk lamps with green-over-white cased glass shades. These desk lamp shades are substantially flat on the sides and the back and gently slope toward the viewer in the front. However, the shades have no sharp corners; rather, the angles are all essentially rounded. Using the cased glass technique, the shades were made of white opal glass on the inside with a layer of "green" or other colored glass on the outside.
As far as we know, all Emeralite shades were produced in the glass factory of J. Schreiber & Neffen, which plant was located in the city of Rapotin, Moravia, in what is now the Czech Republic. Although S&N, as they were referred to by McFaddin, produced glassware for other customers, their contract with a representative of H.G. McFaddin & Co. allowed them to produce the green cased shades only for Emeralite lamps. In turn, McFaddin was required to purchase a minimum volume of shades each year. In fact, at the height of production, fully one half of the S&N factory was devoted to the production of glass shades for H. G. McFaddin.
SOURCE: The Lamps of H. D. McFaddin